Yesterday, Sunday, felt like another one of those long days. We left our hotel in Glasgow around 9 and had a train to Oban at 9:55. We arrived in Oban around 1ish and had a ferry at 3:40. So we had some time to kill. I had a shrimp sandwich from the "seafood capital of Scotland" and it was pretty good if I do say so myself. We walked around a bit in the town, but it wasn't totally ideal because we had all our stuff. A LOT TO CARRY. The ferry was almost like a mini cruise ship. I have only seen things about ferries on like TV or movies and this wasn't what I expected. They had a restuarant, tv lounge, dog area, stores, and multiple decks. It was really beautiful scenery too so I spent a lot of time sitting on the side deck with my camera. It was super windy so it got cold but I liked it. I only got semi sea sick one time so I went and fell asleep to make it go away. The ride was about 5 hours long and we got there in the 8 o'clock hour. Once in Castlebay on the Isle of Barra, we went to our hostel to get settled in. We are in a room for 4 and one other roommate was in there when we got in. After that we went to explore a bit of the town. It wasn't much though because it was like completely dead at this hour, but it was weird because it was so light outside. The sun doesn't go away til maybe 11:30, 12...Later on in the hostel, our last roommate finally came in, except he and his friends were completely drunk and they woke the entire hostel up. Some people yelled at them though and it was taken care of.
Today, our first full day in Castlebay, we went around town to see who we could meet and potentially interview. There is a church here and we wanted to talk to the parrish but he wasn't here today so we'll try again later in the week. We met a guy in this Toffee Shop (which has the best toffee ever by the way) and he is from Glasgow. He doesn't speak any Gaelic though so that was sad, but it was nice talking to him either way.
Right now, we're at the library, which is in the school here so that's a little weird but they have free internet. I think we may go to the post office after this to find out more stuff. Tomorrow we're taking the bus to the northern part of the island...I can't remember the name of the place...starts with an E. Anyway, it's near the airport here. The beach is the airport at low tide. Just so you know what type of place this is.
We stay in Castlebay until Friday. Then we'll travel to Lochmaddy, North Uist.
It was good talking with you yesterday! Keeping you in our prayers.
ReplyDeleteI love reading your blogs. Your adventures sound amazing.
ReplyDelete