Sunday, June 12, 2011

Sheep and castles




We left the Manchester airport around noon to make our way to our camp center thing for orientation in Gwynedd, Wales. We have 16 students that make up 7 teams and we'll go our separate ways on Saturday, so we'll be together here until then. On our way from the airport, we stopped for lunch. As John, our supervisor, called it, we had our choice of a few restaurants...the Scottish delicacy: McDonald's, and the Royal Burger King. So anyway, my first meal here was at a McDonald's that was actually having a "Taste of America" special going on this summer. It was a New Orleans sandwich or something. I thought it was funny they were doing that. 
After lunch we got back on the road to North Wales. We stopped at Conwy Castle, which had a lot of history that John told us but I can't remember any of it because I was half asleep the entire day. Speaking of this sleeping thing...we weren't allowed to go to sleep until bed time last night, which was the hardest thing ever since the last time I slept for real was Thursday night, before my flight. Car rides didn't help the matter either, but we all made it. Back to the castle...I took a lot of pictures mainly because it kept me awake. I'll try to post a few here later. 
There is a lot of sheep. I expected that, but it still is funny how they are everywhere. On the sides of mountains, near the beach, everywhere. My goal now is too find a border collie herding the sheep in honor of Ryley, my dog at home. 
So after the castle, we got back on the road for about another hour. We stopped one last time at a beach somewhere. Not exactly sure where. I just know it was really cold. Oh and I was still wearing shorts because that's what I was wearing in Alabama the day before. I was cold, but didn't care because I would trade Alabama weather for this weather any day, especially the summer. We stayed at the beach for a little while and then left. We finally got to the camp center about 5 or 6. We ate dinner and had free time until bedtime. I met Ben Nuss and his family and Ella officially became the cutest baby ever to everyone. Sleep was welcomed with open arms last night and I think we all fell asleep within 2 minutes.
This morning we went to a Welsh speaking chapel for Sunday service at 10. John told us the church normally had about 8 or 10 people attending so we would definitely fill the place up. It was really funny because it was a lot of little old ladies who came in the chapel after we got there and they were so surprised. They jumped a little and their eyes got bigger at the sight of us. We didn't understand most of the service since it was in Welsh but it was an experience. We came back to the camp after it was over to eat lunch and then had our first official  orientation meeting. 
The meeting was very general, but we went over the different people groups and languages and the vision of the CeLT. We'll start the more detailed orientation starting tomorrow. 
I'll leave you with a thought we talked about and something John tries to implement into the CeLT.
Love goes.
The gospel counts.
The journey's worthwhile.




No comments:

Post a Comment