Yesterday, we talked with the Volunteer Center place here in Castlebay about anybody they knew who could speak Gaelic or have input on the culture and the lady working there gave us a lot of names. It actually worked out though, that they knew of a few Gaelic speakers/teachers who they could get to come to meet us so we were excited about that possibility.
So today, we had two goals: get those interviews and also go to the Catholic church here and see if we could talk to the priest.
Before we set out though, we had a little switching around time in the hostel. The couple who runs the hostel was out and their mother was doing the booking today except she couldn't read the handwriting of the records. Anyway, it had us moving into another room tonight and then again tomorrow. She finally figured it out though and we ended up leaving our room with our German friend and going to another room for the next two nights. It's better though because it's just us in the room so that's good!
So after that, we set out to the church and we did get to talk to the priest. He couldn't interview though because he would have to check with his superior and whatnot about what he could say and all that so we didn't get any footage. It was nice meeting him though!
Next was the volunteer interviews. We got two interviews; both of them were Gaelic speakers. I think it went really well and I'm happy we met them!
This afternoon, we finally washed clothes (the first time since I left Alabama). They smelled so bad. I don't know how much you know about dryers here, but they pretty much don't exist where I have been so everything is hanging to dry.
Today has been the first day that the weather wasn't sunny and warmish (here that means 60s) too. It's been raining most of the day. Tomorrow is our last full day here and we're going to the Heritage Center to talk to more people.
Also, I forgot to mention this back when we were in Glasgow! We had a TV in the room there and you want to know the first thing I watched in Scotland? Cheaper by the Dozen. I thought that was funny. And then there was a show (that was quite addictive) where a group of 5 people each cooked a meal each night of a week for each other and got scored on it by the others. It was like a cooking reality show. Later on though, Braveheart came on and I have to say that watching that in Scotland feels a little different than in America...
No comments:
Post a Comment