Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Come Dine With Me

Picture it...Elise and I have traveled all day and finally make our way to our Glasgow hotel on our journey to the rest of Scotland. After settling in, I realize I'm pretty hungry. I am flipping through the channels on our TV (the first TV I've watched since being in the UK) and I stop at one channel that looks similar to the Food Network. I was intrigued...and hungry so I continued watching the unknown show. I really thought it was a British cooking show, but turns out I was only half right. 

It was Come Dine With Me.


Little did I know what I was getting into.

This show has a basic premise. I'll just take it from IMDB to save time. "A group of five strangers, each an amateur chef, compete to host the best dinner party, each party solely for the competitors and to be held on consecutive evenings. Each host's menu must consist of at least a starter, a main and a dessert. At the end of each party, each guest rates the party on a scale of one to ten. At the end of the last party, the competitors find out who wins and the winner receives £1,000. By the end of the last party, each competitor gets to know their fellow competitors a little better. Some may become friends for life, while others wish they had never met."

Yeah, so it was more than a little addicting. A lot of times, each dinner party (of the 5) are half hour episodes. So to see what happens, you have to watch 5 episodes! They know how to get you. We watched a few that night in Glasgow.

We didn't have a TV for awhile after that, but in the next hostel that had TV, what did we find? Come Dine With Me. And after that we found that it's on ALL THE TIME. It was crazy. I probably watched 40 episodes on this trip. Okay that's an exaggeration. Maybe 20. 



There are also celebrity versions of this show, which is funny to watch because the celebrities there mean nothing to me.

I learned from this show that "pudding" as I knew it, is not pudding.

I learned that a lot of people are crazy on this show. Some episodes had normal behaving people. And then some had insane people trying to cause fights with the competitors. 

I'm glad it comes on a channel I do not get back home because I would probably end up watching it too much.

No comments:

Post a Comment